Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Jeanne Oliver Designs.... An Interview and A Peek at Jeanne Oliver's New Collection

Hello Everyone!
I hope you all had a great weekend...
I have a special interview to share with you today.
Jeanne Oliver just released her new summer collection yesterday.
Jeanne is one of those girls that is blessed with many talents.
I have been waiting for Jeanne to come out with her new summer collection.
Jeanne was kind enough to let me share a few pictures from her new collection on my blog and also took the time out of her very busy life to answer a few interview questions for me.
I hope you get a chance to read my interview with Jeanne, because she is a true inspiration.



Tell us a little bit about Jeanne Oliver Designs? 

First of all I would like to thank you for having me share on your beautiful site.  You inspire so many on your blog.  You truly have a beautiful gift for styling and photography.

Jeanne Oliver Designs started as A Bushel and a Peck.  "A Bushel and a Peck" is the title of a song that my mom used to sing to us when we were little.  A little over three years ago I began selling on Etsy.  I sold little things that I had been making for gifts and also began including little girl clothes.  I giggle a little when I look back at the beginning.  There was no direction...but I am so proud of myself that I started.  Starting is hard and scary.  I love looking back at those first images because I can see very clearly how far I have come.  Just recently did I restructure my business and rename it Jeanne Oliver Designs.


How would you describe your design style?

I have to admit this one is hard for me.  There have been so many design inspirations in my life.  I have loved vintage fashion for as long as I can remember.  Between old movies and fashion magazines I was always sketching the images that I was seeing from a young age.  I want my designs to be feminine, full of detail, vintage grace, authentic and comfortable.  I want my bag to be your favorite bag.  I want my dresses to be the one you reach for when you want to be comfortable and look beautiful.  Livable vintage...is that even a word???lol


What type of items can we expect to find while shopping at Jeanne Oliver Designs?

You will find pretty.  You will find jewelry embellished with vintage treasures.  You will find totes detailed with vintage buttons and fabrics.  You will find dresses with attention to the details.  You will always find the old blended with the new....I hope that never changes.


What is the name of your new summer collection?



What was the inspiration behind your Town and Country Collection?

Last summer I spent two amazing weeks in France.  The first part of my trip was in the south of France staying at the most incredible chateau.  We had daily excursions to flea markets, old villages and millinery.  Our days were lazy and indulgent.  We were catered to and lavished.  I found myself walking the incredible grounds on different occasions just in awe of the beauty of the countryside and the stillness.  There were fields of sunflowers and old, wrinkly men that fit perfectly in the country landscape. The men were so deliciously French looking that it was almost painful when I couldn't take their photograph.  At night I slept with my shutters open so I could feel the breeze and hear the rain.  It was pure perfection.......until I got off the train in Paris.

Paris!  The cab ride from the train station to our hotel had me almost in tears.  I can't even explain it.  Loveliness all around. It was too much beauty to take in.  But it was not the natural beauty of the French countryside...it was man made and breathtaking.  It was architecture, cafes, activity, sounds, church bells ringing, crowds, art.

In each setting I found perfection.  How could I choose one over the other?  The one brought peace and contentment and the other made me feel alive.


Do you have a favorite piece from the new summer collection?  

My favorite piece of the new line is the Mary Kate peasant dress.  I love the vintage feed sack on each one.  


I also love the Sadie purse.  That vintage fabric is so incredible and I wish I could have bought a million yards of it!  


Was it hard to create your own look book?

Honestly, I am just stubborn.  I am not the most computer savvy gal, but with a little trial and error (and a few tears) I put it together.  I didn't have the time to do one and even my husband was questioning the importance with so many other things to tend to.  We both agree now that it is the best thing we could have done for this line.  I love it and I am so proud of it.  I took all of the photos and the models were gorgeous and really showcase my clothes beautifully.  The most important part is that the lookbook tells the story that I wanted it to tell.  

Click on the picture below to view Jeanne's inspiring look book....


b>



For someone who is just starting a business, would you recommend starting out on etsy or getting your own .com?

Definitely start on Etsy.  Etsy has been amazing to me and truly gave me the time to figure myself and my style out.  A dot com is the next step when you have a following.  I will still continue to use Etsy though because customers find me on accident all of the time.   It is a wonderful tool.


What do you enjoy most about owning an online shop?

About a month ago I was at an event and a woman came up to me and expressed that she is so inspired by the women of my generation and the businesses we have been able to create.  She said that she wasn't able to do that when she was raising her children and now wishes she would have made more time for her creative gifts.  I can make the time because of the internet and an online shop.  I don't have to have a brick and mortar shop...I would never have time for that.  My shop doesn't reach my town....I can access the world. Pretty amazing.  What I enjoy most about owning an online shop is the possibilities!


I can hardly wait to get my camera bag in the mail : )


Isn't Jeanne amazing!

You can enter Jeanne's generous giveaway by visiting Jeanne's blog.




Thank you Jeanne for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do an interview with me, and
thank you for letting me share your beautiful photographs on my blog.

I hope you all have a great week!
Take Care,
Maria

40 comments:

butiksofie said...

I have seen this piucs already!I love the bag, hughs Anja

Life love, clutter and other beautiful things. said...

Gorgeous!

Thanks for the Intro xox

The Paper Mulberry - Glenda Steel said...

Thank you so much for posting this fabulous collection! I hadn't seen it before and can't wait to look at more! So gorgeous, I adore the colours!!! Warmest Spring Wishes from England - Glenda xxx

Leah - The Inside Story said...

Gorgeous creative designs. I love all of them. Leahxx

Karen said...

Hi Maria~Loved your interview with Jeanne Oliver. She seemed very open and real. I am very interested in hearing what women who have started online businesses have to say, reason being that just yesterday I opened my etsy shop. Her thoughts on her trip to France and Paris and how that awed and inspired her in regards to her business really spoke to me. I love to read interviews like this with creative, successful business women.
Thank you for an amazing, interesting and insightful interview!
Best~
Karen

siga said...

I love it! Beautiful! Romantic and yet not "too girlish" :))Thank you for learning about it!

Unknown said...

What a great post Maria! I have followed Jeanne for a long time and watch her grow. Very inspiring! And I love her style.
Thank you Maria..
Enjoy your day~Sue

Screaming Meme said...

Maria, I have never heard of her...and I am glad I did today...will go check it her stuff!

Xo , Meme

BTW, If you haven't signed up for my $100,000 giveaway...ok $100...pls stop by...;)

coco said...

that ruffle tote is very nice, also like the color.

BECKY said...

What a delightful interview and a wonderful look Jeanne has created! I treasure incorporating old and new, so her line is definitely top notch in my book! Love the attention to detail even though the designs are more simple!

Thank you so much for sharing this! I am off to visit Jeanne!
Have a delightful day, Maria!
Hugs,
Becky

Yvonne - Frl. Klein said...

Great bags! I love this style!
Hugs,
Yvonne

Unknown said...

soooo gorgeous! I'm "pining" and "pinning" away!

Penny Murray said...

Oh I am so drooling over that camera bag!!! Seriously having lust issues over here!!!

Elyse said...

hi maria and jeanne,

this was a really great piece to read. i love how jeanne describes her line and she has done a really beautiful job with the entire venture.

i find it so fascinating to watch and also be part of the growth that so many of us bloggers experience. from our laptops we watch and cheer and partake of so much. whether it's an online shop, business or writing (me!), i just find blogging to be the most generous, wonderful and inspiring platform. i hope that came out right! lol

warmest congrats all around, creatives!

xo
elyse

kimberly said...

love that girl, and her style - she captures it all! I have already ordered the camera bag!!! can't wait until it arrives!
great interview - thanks Maria!
xx

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

I've been a fan of Jeanne's for a while now. What a wonderful interview! I am loving that bag and oh so many other creations by Jeanne.

Happy week, Maria!
Belle journée ~ Tracie

paperbird said...

wonderful interview- it looks like there will be a few of us blogging girls all with the same camera bag!!!! i can't wait.

have a beautiful day maria~

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

Jeanne is so talented!;) I love my ruffled tote I purchased from her last year~ Hugs,Rachel

French Farmhouse 425

Lisa said...

Oh - I want that camera bag!
:)
Off now to check out the entire line...

Unknown said...

Love the style, that vintage purse with the red flowers is AWSOME!

amy luella said...

that was great! love all the links! fun questions and answers!

All That Jazz said...

Yes, Jeanne's work is amazing! I love her style. She is so talented! The interview was great, I love knowing she started on Etsy and just went upwards from there.
~xo/michelle~

Kolleen said...

what a lovely interview.

Jeanne is so inspiring and her collection is amazing!!

ooxx
k

Deborah said...

Isn't she an amazing artist!
Love all her beautiful designs!

Deborah xo

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this interview, Maria...especially helpful to someone like me who is beginning on Etsy. Her designs are gorgeous. Off to check her out & enter the giveaway. Also, my gray & white ticking pillow came today & I LOVE it...and the always sweet packaging, lavender bundles, & sachet. Beautiful! Thank you so much.

Hugs,
Jami

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this designer with the world, I did not know about her before. I am so inspired. She's now on my regular blog read list too!

The Antique Gardener said...

What a great post! I love her blog (especially the post 'just show up' - a great read for working moms) Might have to order the ruffled tote in the morning...hopefully its still available. Thanks for sharing!

kate richard said...

un grand merci pour tout ces très beau moment que tu nous fait partagé...et tes bouquet de fleurs sont splendide tous ce que j'aime ..j'ai mis un post avec ton beau bouquet de pivoines ,mes fleurs préféré..merci ..

Jacque Ferreira said...

Love Jeanne! Maria you did a great job introducing and showcasing her... she is going to be swamped! Her creations and style are great and reading her blog is a pleasure too! ~ Jacque

Arabella said...

What a wonderful interview, Maria ~ thank you for the introduction to such a talented lady. Hope you're having a fabulous week!

Burlap Luxe said...

Just love jeannes style!!

I have visited her site many of times, and followed her holiday to France, she is a lady to adore!

Beautiful post.
xx
Dore

Tricia said...

Jeanne's blog was one of the very first blogs that I found...I love her style. I'm thinking that I may NEED that camera bag ;)

~tricia

Maddie Kertay- The Domestic Anarchist said...

Wow.. thank you for introducing me to someone new!

Maddie

Ruby Jean said...

I just came across your LOVELY blog..and What a time to find you...I have just recently launched my Etsy Shop and Blog..so this was very encouraging to read..Looking forward to following along with you...

24 Homes said...

Great pictures and wonderful bags! I love it. Thanks for sharing :)
Greetings from the Netherlands, Claire
24homes

lilabraga said...

Hi, I have never heard of her...and I am glad I did today...will go check it her stuff!

Lara said...

She is so talented! I want one of everything from her line! :)

I received my package from you this afternoon! I am SOO happy with it, lovely Maria!! I have the perfect spot for the French basket - it is gorgeous! Loved all the pillows, too {I sent you an appreciation e-mail via your shop site, too} My whole house smells like lavender bliss right now.. such a delight! Merci!!!! ♥

Big Hugs,
Lara :)

Mar said...

All I can say is fabulous,fabulous, fabulous!! I ordered her cream ruffled apron and her tote, which arrived yesterday. Her packaging is divine( I had to take a pic to show my girlfriends) and the quality superb. I am doing an antique show this weekend,and can't wait to wear my apron. Better get ready, Miz Jeanne, your business is going to go to the moon!
My best, Mar

College Essays said...

Looks good & sounds great..

Anonymous said...

Hi

I read this post 2 times. It is very useful.

Pls try to keep posting.

Let me show other source that may be good for community.

Source: Decision making interview questions

Best regards
Jonathan.